Lightning struck in last night’s Powerball drawing for a lucky Iowa Lottery player or group of players.
Someone who bought a Powerball ticket in Cedar Rapids won last night’s $241 million Powerball jackpot, becoming the state’s biggest lottery winner to date. The winning ticket is the seventh overall in Iowa to win a Powerball jackpot.
The winning ticket was purchased at Hy-Vee, 5050 Edgewood Road in Cedar Rapids. There’s good news on that front, too: Hy-Vee will receive a $10,000 bonus from the Iowa Lottery for selling the jackpot-winning ticket.
We’re thrilled to see another jackpot winner here in Iowa and we’re excited to meet whoever it is!
As always, I’ll give this reminder: We encourage our jackpot winners to consult a financial advisor or lawyer before coming forward to claim a prize of this size. This truly is a life-changing amount of money and we want our winners to have all the information they’ll need as they make their decisions. Whoever has the winning ticket should sign it right away if they haven’t already done so and keep it in a secure place until they present it to claim the jackpot.
Here are the details you’ll need as you check your tickets: The winning numbers in last night’s Powerball drawing were: 7-10-14-33-57 and Powerball 18. The jackpot-winning ticket matched all six numbers drawn to win the big prize.
Powerball jackpots won here in Iowa have to be claimed at lottery’s headquarters, and that address is: 2323 Grand Ave. in Des Moines. If the winner or winners have questions before claiming the prize, they’re welcome to give us a shout at 515-725-7900.
If you’re the big winner, you can choose to receive the jackpot in annuitized payments over time or as a one-time, lump-sum payment. The annuity option would be made in 30 payments over 30 years totaling $241 million before taxes, with the annual amount increasing over time to accomodate for inflation. If you choose the cash option, you’ll get a one-time, lump-sum payment of about $160.3 million before taxes.
Another thing we do want to clarify: We’ve gotten questions after other recent jackpot claims around the country, but under Iowa law, information concerning lottery winners is public. We want to be sure that the specifics required by the law are clear.
Last night’s jackpot is the 15th-largest Powerball prize won to date. Iowa Lottery players now have won seven Powerball jackpots overall. The six previous winners are:
• Tim and Kellie Guderian of Fort Dodge, who were Iowa’s biggest lottery winners when they claimed a $200.8 million jackpot in October 2006.
• Hugh Hawkins of Des Moines, who won a $113.2 million jackpot in December 2005.
• Jacquelyn Moore of Omaha, Neb., who won a $14.4 million jackpot in October 2004 (she bought her ticket at a convenience store in Carter Lake in western Iowa).
• The Larry Hasken family of Sabula, who claimed a $31.8 million jackpot in January 2000.
• Tim Schultz of Des Moines, who won a $28 million jackpot in February 1999.
• Ed Brown of Washington, who split a $10.4 million jackpot with a Missouri woman in December 1992.
We can’t wait to meet the latest addition to the list!